The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and Johnvince Foods announced a recall on Thursday, September 1, 2011, of some President’s Choice and Reddi Snack walnuts because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The raw, shelled walnuts products were imported from the United States and later packaged and distributed in Canada. The products were distributed across Canada.
Yesterday, September 6, 2011, CFIA expanded the recall to include raw shelled walnuts sold from bulk and additional prepackaged raw shelled walnuts and walnut containing products. CFIA and Johnvince Foods are warning the public not to consume certain bulk and prepackaged raw shelled walnut products described below because these products may also be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7:
- Bulk walnuts distributed by Johnvince Foods and sold at retail from bulk bins** 11.34 kg sold from April 27 to August 6, 2011, inclusive
- President’s Choice Raw California Walnut Halves Unsalted (250g) UPC 0 60383 and 87185 7
- President’s Choice Deluxe Trail Mix (220g) UPC 0 60383 and 87201 4
- No Frills Natural Walnut Halves and Pieces (175g) UPC 0 64777 and 37773 4
- Longo’s California Walnuts (240g) UPC 7 72468 and 10107 9
- Compliments California Walnut Halves & Pieces (225g) UPC 0 68820 and 12395 8
- Compliments Walnut Halves (100g) UPC 0 55742 and 35977 0
- FreshCo California Natural Walnut Halves & Pieces (200g) UPC 7 70974 and 80188 9
- Marketplace Co-op “Halt” The Salt Walnut Halves & Pieces (250g) UPC 0 64777 and 44085 8
- Johnvince Foods Caramel Toffee Walnuts (11.34 kg)
- Stock & Barrel Caramel Toffee Walnuts (300g) UPC 0 64777 and 37906 6
- Joe’s Tasty Travels California Select Walnuts Mostly Halves (350g) UPC 6 64989 and 60689 1
- Selection Walnut Halves (250g) UPC 0 59749 and 90882 5
- Planters Vitality Mix 100 Calories per bag (240g) UPC 0 58716 98972 0 16881
- Marketplace Co-op Vitality Mix (375g) UPC 0 64777 and 44131 2
**The bulk walnuts listed above were imported and distributed in Canada by Johnvince Foods in 25 lb cardboard cases bearing Lot code W1866 and the name Andersen and Sons Shelling, Vina, California, USA. Consumers who may have purchased unlabelled walnuts from bulk and are unsure if they have the affected product are advised to contact the place of purchase to determine if it is affected by this recall.
Although there have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of these products, Johnvince Foods of Downsview, Ontario is voluntarily recalling the affected products from the marketplace as a precautionary measure.
In another walnut recall in January, one person in Quebec died and 13 other Canadians fell sick with an E. coli bacterial infection with the same genetic fingerprint. Of the 14 reported cases of E. coli infection, nine people consumed walnuts and seven ate walnuts from the same distributor, the CFIA said at the time.