The Ventura County Public Health office has reported 98 customers and 17 employees at the Chipotle Mexican Grill in Simi Valley became sick on August 18 and 19. The cause of the illnesses is under investigation.
An inspection notice posted August 27 on the county’s Environmental Health website identified uncovered hot food held below 135°F and violations observed on a previous inspection that had not been corrected. The previous inspection posted on August 24 cited the restaurant for:
• Equipment connected directly to the sewer;
• Deteriorating and damaged wall and/or ceiling surfaces;
• Unclean restrooms;
• Unsanitary conditions on the premises;
• Equipment, utensils not clean, fully operative and in good repair;
• Flying insects; and
• Food handlers lacking a valid food handler card or records documenting that food handlers possess a valid food handler card.