More than a hundred people are still in hospital in Harbin following a mass food poisoning incident which proved fatal for a 77 year-old patient.  The incident occurred on Monday at the Heilongjiang Provincial Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Harbin, the provincial capital.  According to Song Chunhua, deputy chief of criminal investigation at the

MSNBC reported today that the wave of American pet deaths linked to contaminated food is bringing home a frightening new fact: China’s chronic food safety woes are now an international concern.

The list of Chinese food exports rejected at American ports reads like a chef’s nightmare: pesticide-laden pea pods, drug-laced catfish, filthy plums and crawfish

Filipino students food poisoningPeople’s Daily (China) reports that at least 22 Filipino students in a central province were ill and rushed to hospital on Tuesday after they ate a kind of local popular street snack, officials said.

The ill students, aged 12 to 14, are from Emilio Gaston Elementary School, Silay City, Negros Occidental province, said Senior Superintendent

China students suffer food poisoningChina Daily reports that city authorities have threatened to close schools that fail to meet strict new hygiene standards, brought in after a series of food poisoning cases. Chengdu Municipal Education Bureau in Sichuan Province yesterday issued an emergency circular calling for improved efforts to ensure food safety in the city’s kindergartens, and primary and high schools.

Kindergarten, primary and high school canteens that fail to meet hygiene standards will be closed and can reopen only after making improvements, the circular said. The bureau is to send 38 groups of supervisors to districts, cities and counties under Chengdu’s administration over the next week to ensure the new rules are followed. Last week, pupils at Dunyi Primary School, in Wangsi township near Chengdu, started vomiting after lunch in the school canteen.

Continue Reading New rules to prevent school food poisoning

The Sunday Telegraph reports that Sydney’s filthiest restaurant has remained open for business despite being caught with a rats’ nest in its kitchen, live cockroaches in noodles and rat droppings in a serving bowl.

The Sun Garden Chinese Restaurant, at Lidcombe, has been caught seriously breaching food safety laws three times in three years –

Sham Shui PoThe Health and Community News reports that the Centre for Health Protection is investigating a suspected food poisoning case involving 10 women who fell sick after consuming take-away food from a restaurant in Sham Shui Po and home-made food.

The patients, aged 26 to 55, developed stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and fever from about

China food poisoning deathPeople’s Daily reports that Chinese experts warned here Sunday that foodborne diseases rather than chemical pollutants are the top menace to the food safety of Chinese consumers.

Liu Xiumei, a research fellow with the Food Safety Institute of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, said that foodborne disease threats were expanding in China.

China Daily reports that China’s Ministry of Education has ordered local education departments to inspect sanitary conditions and the cleanliness of food and drinking water in all schools in their jurisdictions.

The ministry on Thursday issued a circular concerning responsibility for food security in schools, in response to two recent food poisoning incidents among students.

Nine family members, including three children, from a remote Territory community are being treated for food poisoning after eating a locally caught fish. The family group from Angurugu on Groote Eylandt were diagnosed with potentially fatal ciguatera poisoning from a gifted reef fish, known as a mother-in-law fish.

Four seriously ill adults were flown to