Most of us are probably just surprised that we don’t see more sushi-related outbreaks. There have been some–described below–and, despite the fact that it hasn’t yet been announced by the CDC, there appears to be a 19 state Salmonella Bareilly outbreak (significant restaurant-related clustering of illness in Texas, Wisconsin (2), Maryland, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) linked to Sushi that is apparently ongoing. All state names have not yet been released by FDA or CDC.
No word yet as to what specific ingredient in the Spicy Tuna Sushi Roll is suspected to be the source.
Courtesy of Marler Clark’s database of past foodborne outbreaks, www.outbreakdatabase.com, here are some other sushi outbreaks:
- Marinepolis Sushi Land Unknown 2011
- Sushi King California Rolls (Arkansas) 2006
- Uncle Sushi and Grill Sushi Outbreak 2011
- Tennessee Restaurant Sushi, Seafood 2008
- New York Restaurant Sushi Rolls, 2007
- Florida Restaurant Sushi and Sashimi 2007
- Colorado Restaurant Sushi 2007
- Family Owned Sushi Restaurants 2004