As of December 18, 2018, this outbreak appears to be over.
Four people infected with the outbreak strain of Listeria monocytogenes were reported from North Carolina and Virginia.
Listeria specimens from ill people were collected from July 8, 2017, to August 11, 2018.
All four people were hospitalized. One death was reported from Virginia.
On October 3, 2018, Johnston County Hams, Inc. in Smithfield, North Carolina recalledExternal ham products because they might be contaminated with Listeria bacteria.
Do not eat, sell, or serve recalled products from Johnston County Hams, Inc.
Johnston County Hams, Inc. recalled the following ready-to-eat ham products:
- Johnston County Hams, Inc. Country Style Fully Cooked Boneless Deli Ham
- Ole Fashioned Sugar Cured The Old Dominion Brand Hams Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham with sell-by dates from 4/10/2018 to 9/27/2019
- Padow’s Hams & Deli, Inc. Fully Cooked Country ham Boneless Glazed with Brown Sugar
- Premium Fully Cooked Country Ham Less Salt Distributed by Valley Country Hams, LLC. with sell-by dates from 4/10/2018 to 9/27/2019
- Goodnight Brothers Country Ham Boneless Fully Cooked
Recalled ham products were produced from April 3, 2017, through October 2, 2018.
Recalled products are labeled with establishment number “EST. M2646” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
Listeria: Marler Clark, The Food Safety Law Firm, is the nation’s leading law firm representing victims of Listeria outbreaks. The Listeria lawyers of Marler Clark have represented thousands of victims of Listeria and other foodborne illness outbreaks and have recovered over $650 million for clients. Marler Clark is the only law firm in the nation with a practice focused exclusively on foodborne illness litigation. Our Listeria lawyers have litigated Listeria cases stemming from outbreaks traced to a variety of foods, such as deli meat, cantaloupe, cheese, celery and milk.
If you or a family member became ill with a Listeria infection after consuming food and you’re interested in pursuing a legal claim, contact the Marler Clark Listeria attorneys for a free case evaluation.