KOTV.com and the Chicago Tribune reported that the number of food poisoning cases tied to the Taste of Chicago event had increased to 378 on Friday. At least 12 people were hospitalized with Salmonella infections after eating at the Pars Cove booth at Taste. Testing is still being conducted to help health officials determine the extent of the Salmonella outbreak. According to KOTV:
The only dish connected to the outbreak was an herb tomato cucumber salad that was served on hummus, health officials said. All the reports of sickness came from people who ate at the booth run by Pars Cove Persian Cuisine.
The health department ordered Pars Cove to stop serving hummus at its restaurant until further notice as a precaution. The restaurant’s management was cooperating fully in the health department’s investigation, officials said.
The Chicago Tribune reported that 38 people had been confirmed ill with Salmonella, and quoted Chicago Commissioner of Public Health, Terry Mason, who said, "The hummus shirazi is implicated — at least that’s one thing that we know now, but the investigation is not complete."