The news on the latest recall, per the FDA:
Louie Foods International of Fresno, California, is voluntarily recalling all Louie’s brand sprouts with a “Use By” date on or before 4/14/11, because they may be contaminated with Salmonella. To-date, no illnesses have been reported.
Products affected by the recall include:
- Alfalfa Sprout Mix, 4 oz. cups (UPC 11324 04401)
- Alfalfa Sprout Mix, 16 oz. bags (UPC 11324 16401)
- Clover Sprouts, 4 oz. cups (UPC 11324 04406)
- Clover Sprouts, 16 oz. bags (UPC 11324 04406)
- Spicy Sprouts, 4 oz. cups (UPC 11325 04402)
- Broccoli Sprouts, 4 oz. cups (UPC 11324 04407)
It appears the products were sent to distributors in the Central Valley, and along the coast of California. Distributors were told to destroy the products once the problem was identified. The FDA press release does not make clear if any potentially contaminated sprouts reached retail markets. The problem was detected through random testing by the USDA.