The CDC is providing updated information on three of the four separate multistate outbreaks of Salmonella infections linked to imported Maradol papayas from Mexico. Each outbreak is linked to papayas imported from a different farm in Mexico. CDC is concerned that Maradol papayas from other farms in Mexico might be contaminated with Salmonella and are making people sick.
- Among all four outbreaks, there are a total of 235 people sick from 26 states.
- There are 78 hospitalizations, including two deaths (one from New York and one from California).
- 69% of sick people are Hispanic.
- CDC recommends that consumers not eat, restaurants not serve, and retailers not sell recalled Maradol papayas from Carica de Campeche, Rancho El Ganadero, El Zapotanito, or Productores y Exportadores de Carica Papaya de Tecomán y Costa Alegre farms in Mexico.
- Several companies have recalled papayas from these farms: Grande Produce recalledCaribena brand Maradol papayas. Agroson’s LLC recalled certain Cavi brand Maradol papayas. Freshtex Produce, LLC recalled Valery Brand Maradol papayas. Bravo Produce, Inc. recalled Maradol papayas packed by Frutas Selectas de Tijuana, S. de RL de CV.
- If you aren’t sure if the papaya you bought is a recalled Maradol papaya, ask the place where you bought it. When in doubt, throw it out.
- The investigation is ongoing and CDC will provide updates when more information is available.
Individual outbreak announcements:
- UPDATED: Outbreak of SalmonellaThompson, Salmonella Kiambu, Salmonella Agona, and Salmonella Gaminara infections linked to papayas from Carica de Campeche farm in Mexico: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/kiambu-07-17/index.html
- NEW: Outbreak of SalmonellaNewport and Salmonella Infantis Infections linked to papayas from Rancho El Ganadero farm in Colima, Mexico distributed by Caraveo Produce: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/newport-09-17/index.html
- NEW: Outbreak of SalmonellaUrbana Infections linked to papayas from El Zapotanito farm in La Huerta, Mexico:https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/urbana-09-17/index.html
- POSTED 9/11: Outbreak of SalmonellaAnatum Infections linked to papayas from Productores y Exportadores de Carica Papaya de Tecoman y Costa Alegre in Tijuana, Mexico imported by Bravo Produce, Inc: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/anatum-9-17/index.html